2017 Spring Travel Ball
Screven County Spurs
Coach Terry Kile and Coach Brian Thompson
Welcome and thank you for the chance to work with your child this Spring with Screven County’s Spurs Travel Ball Team. Let me begin by saying that we are not doing this to make money. We are doing this to make your children better baseball players and to prepare them for travel ball, middle school baseball, and eventually high school baseball.
I will play only the 9 or 10 players I feel give us our best chance to win. I will rotate in from the bench when able or situations arise. This will give every kid a chance to gain game-time experience and make us competitive in bracket play.
This is a pitching league. We will be playing most of the time with U-trip rules or USSSA rules and Georgia Park Rec Rules. I use the Gamechanger app for stats and to help me keep up with pitch counts. I will never over pitch a kid. Most of the older boys will be held to 60-70 max, but I do my best to stay closer to 50. I will try to keep the younger pitchers to around 30-40 pitches max. If you have any questions, please see me.
Here are a few ground rules for me:
1. Please do not ask me about playing time during a game. If you feel there is a problem or I made a mistake, see me after the game. One, I don’t do things in front of the kids, and two I am focused on the game and calling pitches and plays.
2. I will only talk with you about your child.
3. This is about the boys and teaching them. Remember that none of the coaches are paid, and we are trying to make every kid a better team player.
4. We pray before games, after games, at meals, at the end of practice, and at family events. If this is a problem, please feel free to see me individually.
Now about the cost:
We will divide up the cost of each tournament by the number of boys playing. For example, if a tournament fee is $300 and there are 12 boys playing, the cost per player will be $25. If we have an odd number of boys playing right now, we will round up or down to the nearest dollar to keep making change to a minimum on game day. I am looking to play 3 to 5 tournaments this Spring. Each player tryout out during Spring Tryouts will pay a one-time fee of $25.00 to help cover the cost of baseball and team equipment.
Cost Break Down:
• Shirt $18.00 to 20.00 will be paid to Vendor at later date
• Hat $18.00 to 20.00 will be paid to Vendor at later date
• Equipment $25.00 to be paid during Spring Try Outs
For a total upfront cost of $61.00 to 65.00
Even with the cost per tournament added in, this is much less than the $600+ that other surrounding area travel ball teams charge to play. This is because we are all volunteers. I think this is the cheapest and most fair way to keep the cost down for everyone.